Department of Environmental Design
- BS.c 1984, Faculty of Fine Arts, University of Alexandria, Department of Painting, Mural Painting Section.
- MS.c 1993, Faculty of Fine Arts, University of Alexandria, Department of Painting, Mural Painting Section.
- 1993-1996 Assistant Lecturer, Alexandria University, Faculty of Fine Arts- Mural Painting Section
- Ph.D 2001, University of Leicester, School of Archaeological Studies, Leicester, England.
- 2001-06 Lecturer at The Faculty of Fine Arts, University of Alexandria, Department of Painting. Mural Painting Section
- 2006 Associate Prof. at The Faculty of Fine Arts, University of Alexandria, Department of Painting. Conservation of Mural Painting
- 2011 Full Prof. at The Faculty of Fine Arts, University of Alexandria, Department of Painting, Conservation of Mural Painting
Birmingham- England 1999- Rome-Italy 1999- Ottawa, Canada 2000-Edinburgh- England 2001-Kingston- Ontario-Canada 2002 -Victoria, Canada 2003- ISA< Zaragoza- Spain 2004 in Quebec- ISA, Canada 2006- Seina- ISA, Italy 2008- Gazantip, Turket 2008- Austria, Vinna 2009- Cluj Napoca, Romaina 2009- ISA, Tampa, Florida, US 2010 -12th International AIMC, Athens (Greece) 2010- SR2A, Amsterdam, 2010. ISA, Belgium, Leuven 2012- 13th International AIMC, Athienou (Cyprus) 2012- Contemporary mosaic- Ravenna, Italy Oct.2013- ISA, Los Angles, US
2014-14th International AIMC, Vienna (Austria) 2014-MONUBASIN9, Ankara (Turkey) 2014. Catania, Italy 2015, Cukurova University 1st International Art Research Symposium- Turkey 2015- TACHNART2015 Non-destructive and micro-analytical techniques in art and cultural heritage, Catanina (Italy) 2015- Mediterranean Cultural in Arts and Architecture, 5th conference, Faculty of Fine Arts, University of Alexandria, Egypt (Alexandria) 2016-Archaeology and Cultural Heritage Days, University of Yaoundé, Postgraduate School for Arts, Languages and Urfd Arts; Cultures and Civilization, Department of Arts and Archaeology, Cameroon (Yaoundé) 2016-16th International AIMC Association of Contemporary Mosaicists Congress, Paray Le Monial (France) 2018, Scientific Symposium Frontiers in Heritage Science, World meeting, Institute Du France, Paris, (France) 2019, ICM Erasmus+ at University of West of Attica, Athens, Greece 2019.
Woodchester 1997 England-ICCROM, Rome 1998. Orton Trust -England-2000- RILEM 2004- CNR-DAI III, Cairo University, ASRT & Italian Embassy, 2005- University of Zaragoza, Spain, 2012 & 2014- Open Sesame Ancient Materials Training School, The Cyprus Institute and IPANMA 2018.
Canada, Ottawa 2000- Cairo, RILEM, 2004 -Tunis, ECUME, 2004- Goethe Institute, Alexandria, 2004- Artistic workshop- XXIIIeme Biennale D’Alexandria 2005, CNR-DAI III, Cairo University, ASRT & Italian Embassy, 2005, British Council, Alexandria 2009, Faculty of Engineering, Alexandria 2009- LinkSCEEM-2 Cyprus May & Oct. 2012 “Marching with Cavafy -2014.
- Center of Mahmoud Saeed Museums 2003-Charles Wilson Building, 2004 & Richard Attenborough Centre- 2005, University of Leicester
- Northampton Centre Institute of Lifelong Learning, Northampton, England 2005
- Mahmoud Saeed Museums 2006
- Egyptian Culture Centre in Athens- 2008
- Mahmoud Saeed Museums 2009
- Amphitheatre of NCSR “Demokritos”2010
- National University of Art Education, Hanoi, Vietnam 2012.
- El Houria centre for creation- Alexandria- 2016.
- Vergette Gallery, faculty of fine arts & design, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, USA 2016
- Center of Mahmoud Saeed Museum, Alexandria, 2017
- El Houria centre for creation- Alexandria- 2018.
A member of:
- Plastic Artist’s-Artist’s- Writers Groupe “Alexandria L’Atelter” Egypt –AIMC –Member of the Councilor Board of AIMC ASPROM- Association of ARAB Archaeology –IIC.
- The First Prize of Ministry of Arts and Literature of the Folklore Contest in 1989- University of Alexandria.
- Prize for Scientific Encouragement 2009- University of Alexandria.
- Prize for Scientific Excellence 2020.
- Academic Positions
- Administrative Positions
- Teaching Summary
- Journal Publications
- Conference Publications
- Funded Research Grants
Full Proffessor of Analysis and conservation of wall painting
- 2017 Head of the Department of Painting- Faculty of Fine Arts- University of Alexandria.
- 2019 Vice Dean of Community Service Affairs & Environmental Development- Faculty of Fine Arts. University of Alexandria.
- 2020 University of AlAlamein
- Coordinator of the Memorandum between Faculty of fine arts-University of Alexandria and Queens College University of Australia 2007.
- Coordinator of the Memorandum between University of Alexandria- Faculty of fine arts and National Centre for Scientific Research NCSR- Demokritos- Athens 2008.
- Coordinator of the cultural program between Faculty of fine arts and Hellenic Foundation in Alexandria 2008.
- Coordinator of the Memorandum between University of Alexandria- Faculty of fine arts and Quebec University 2009.
- Coordinator of the Memorandum between University of Alexandria- Faculty of fine arts and National University of Art Education, Hanoi 2012.
- Contact person Erasmus+- University of Alexandria – Faculty of fine arts- department of conservation and University of West Attica- Faculty of Art and Design- Department of Conservation of antiquities & works of art -Athens- Greece 2016-2019 and 2020-2027.
- Coordinator of session (Italy conference) 1999.
- Coordinator of the second conference “The educational procedure & scientific research” Department of painting, faculty of fine arts, Alexandria 2002.
- Coordinator of the third conference “The movement of educational procedure” Department of Painting, faculty of fine art, Alexandria 2003.
- Organizer of the graduate and research conference “Development of graduate studies” Faculty of Fine Arts, Alexandria 2005.
- Organizer the conference “From traditional to contemporary mosaic” the International Festival of Contemporary Mosaic-Third edition- Ravenna, Italy Oct.2013.
- Deterioration of mural painting (2)
- Technology of materials
- Methods of Examination and Analysis
- Conservation & Preservation of Mosaics
- Copies of the Museum Objects
- Insects & microorganism
- Technology of inks, dyes and colours
- Methods of research
- Method of Examination and Analysis of works of art (1)
- Method of Examination and Analysis of works of art (2)
Abd El Salam, Safaa A. 2011. Different Methods of Analysis for the identification of Materials Dated to Different Periods in Egypt, Journal of Physical Science and Application, No. 1 (2011). Received: April 27, 2011 / Accepted: May 12, 2011 / Published: July 15, 2011, David Publication Company, USA.
Abd El Salam, Safaa A. 2007. Fresco Techniques in Græco-Roman Times in Alexandria; Methods of Treatment & Conservation. Archaeological Journal, Vol. 11, 2005-2006, Faculty of Archaeology, Cairo, Egypt (In Arabic).
Abd El Salam, Safaa A. 2004a. Egyptian & Græco-Roman Wall Plasters and Mortars: A Comparative Scientific Study, BAR, British Archaeological Reports, International Series 1319, John & Erica Hedges LTD, Oxford.
Abd El Salam, Safaa A. 2003b. Scientific methods for education and studies on conservation at the Faculty of Fine Arts “Wall Painting”. In the fourth scientific conference “Globalization and Fine Arts Education”, Vol. 1, University of Helwan, Faculty of Fine Arts, Cairo (In Arabic).
Abd El Salam, Safaa A. 2003c. Scientific Methods of Conservation and Preservation of Works of Art “Mural Paintings” Alexandria; The City of the Civilization and Culture: Study in the Historical, Cultural, Archaeological, Touristic and Environmental Dimensions, Vol.2.
Abd El Salam, Safaa A. 2014B. Characterization of Deteriorated Materials of Wall Plasters & Mosaic in Lepcis Magna, Libya: Using Different Analytical Techniques, MONUBASIN9 9th International Symposium on Conservation of Monuments in Mediterranean Basin, Ankara, Turkey, https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8q9Vh2ow0t8eVdVQWRkN2t6SEU/view?usp=sharing: PP: 81-95.
Abd El Salam, Safaa A. 2014A. Contemporary Mosaic in Vietnam, 14th International AIMC International Association of Contemporary, Mosaicists Congress, Vienna, Austria.
Abd El Salam, Safaa A. 2009. “Wall Paintings from the 2nd Century A.D. in Sabratha (Libya): An Optical, Micro chemical and Chemical Study”, Studia Universitatis, Babes-Bolyai, Geology- MAEGS-16, Cluj- Napoca (Romania).
Abd El Salam, Safaa A. 2009. A Comparative Scientific Study of Mosaic Fragments from Sabratha and Lepcis Magna, Libya, In Önal M. and Yilmaz M. Sait (Eds), Mosaic as link among cultures, The Proceedings of XIth International AIMC Congress of Mosaics, Gaziantep, Turkey.
Abd El Salam, Safaa A. & Morgan, C. Graham. 2006. Scientific Examination of Wall Plaster from Brading Roman Villa: Isle of Wight. The 36th International Symposium on Archaeometry, CELAT, Laval University, Quebec, Canada.
Abd El Salam, Safaa A. 2004b. Scientific Study of Græco-Roman Wall Plasters & Pigments In Alexandria, Egypt. The 34th International Symposium on Archaeometry, University of Zaragoza, Partimoni-U Group, University of Barcelona, Zaragoza, Spain. Published on: www. dps.es.ifc pp: 253-259.
Abd El Salam, Safaa A. 1999. Analytical techniques used in the examination of materials of wall painting from the ancient sites of Mustafa Pasha and Anfushi in Alexandria. In C. Parisi. S. Galiardi. G.M. Parisi and G. Torcinaro (Eds) 6th International Conference on Non-Destructive Testing and Microanalysis for the Diagnostic and Conservation of the Cultural and Environmental Heritage. Vol. 1, I.C.R. and AIPnD, Rome.
- 1996-2001 awarded a scholarship from the Egyptian Government in Britain to undertake Ph.D. on conservation technology. The main area of research is analysis of materials concentrated on plasters and mortars in addition to other related materials.
- 1998 a grant from the Faculty of Arts, University of Leicester.
- 2007-2008 Postdectoral (for six months) from the Egyptian Government in Greece- National Centre for Scentific Research “DMOKRATOS”- Laboratory of Archaeometry- Institute of Materials Secince.
- 2009-2010 Fellowship (for six months) from Onassis foundation- Greece- National Centre for Scentific Research “DMOKRATOS”- Laboratory of Archaeometry- Institute of Materials Secince.
- Grant from the Society of Libyan Studies-the institute of Archaeology in London.
- 2011 Visiting followship (postponed to 2013) “ICCROM, Rome, Italy.
- 2013 Erasmus Mundus Action 2EMA2 Lot1 Fatima Ai-Fihri- at universita degli Studi di Padova-Department of Cultural Heritage: Archeaology & History of Art, Cinema and Music.
- 2016 Visiting Prof. at the faculty of art & design, Southern Illonios University,
- 2016 Erasmus+ at T.E.I Faculty of Art and Design, Department of Conservation of Antiquites and Works of Art, Athens, Greece.
- 2017 Erasmus+ at T.E.I Faculty of Art and Design, Department of Conservation of Antiquites and Works of Art, Athens, Greece.
- 2019 Erasmus+ at University of West of Attica, Faculty of Art and Design, Department of Conservation of Antiquites and Works of Art, Athens, Greece.