Department of Computer Science & Engineering
Laila Shoukry obtained her PhD in Computer Engineering from the Technical University of Darmstadt, Germany, in the field of Multimodal Analytics. Before that she finished her Bachelor and Master degrees in Digital Media Engineering and Technology from the German University in Cairo.
She gained research and teaching experience during her work at TU Darmstadt as well as at the Arab Academy for Science and Technology and has been an Assistant Professor at Alamein International University since 2021 teaching courses like Artificial Intelligence, Database Systems, Image Processing and Knowledge-based Systems. Her main interest lies in the use of technology and multimedia to improve education and research and she is the founder of an online learning startup.
- Academic Positions
- Administrative Positions
- Teaching Summary
- Journal Publications
- Conference Publications
- Funded Research Grants
- Lecturer at Arab Academy for Science and Technology
- Teaching Assistant at Arab Academy for Science and Technology
- Research Associate at the Technical University of Darmstadt, Germany
- Junior Teaching Assistance at the German University in Cairo
- Founder and manager of on online learning startup
- Internal Project Manager of an industrial project with Space Agency ESA/ESOC at the Technical University of Darmstadt, Germany
- Artificial Intelligence
- Image Processing
- Knowledge-based Systems
- Object Oriented Programming,
- Web Development,
- Data Structures,
- Introduction to Computer Science,
- Introduction to Multimedia,
- Game Modelling,
- Media Production,
- 3D Modeling,
- Game Writing Analysis,
- Computer Animation,
- Virtual Reality
Shoukry, L., & Göbel, S. (2019). Realizing a Mobile Multimodal Platform for Serious
Games Analytics. International Journal of Serious Games, 6(4), 19-48.
Shoukry, L., Konert, J., & Göbel, S. (2018). The evaluation of learner experience in serious
games. In Learner Experience and Usability in Online Education (pp. 122-148). IGI
Shoukry, L., & Göbel, S. (2017). Reasons and Responses: A multimodal serious games
evaluation framework. IEEE Transactions on Emerging Topics in Computing, 8(1),
Shoukry, L., Bedair, Y., & Elgedawy, I. (2022, December). ClasScorer: Towards a Gamified Smart Classroom. In 2022 IEEE Global Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Internet of Things (GCAIoT) (pp. 194-201). IEEE.
Elgedawy, I., & Shoukry, L. (2022, December). SANAD: A Comprehensive IoT Reference Architecture for Integrated Enterprise Platforms. In 2022 IEEE Global Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Internet of Things (GCAIoT) (pp. 182-187). IEEE.
Shoukry, L., & Göbel, S. (2017, October). StoryPlay Multimodal: A Research Tool for the Mutimodal Evaluation of Serious Games. In European Conference on Games Based Learning (pp. 577-584). Academic Conferences International Limited.
Shoukry, L., Caserman, P., Göbel, S., & Steinmetz, R. (2015, June). Blitzmerker: learning idioms with a mobile game. In Joint International Conference on Serious Games (pp. 77-
Shoukry, L., Sturm, C., & Galal-Edeen, G. H. (2015). Pre-MEGa: a proposed framework for the design and evaluation of preschoolers’ mobile educational games. In Innovations and advances in computing, informatics, systems sciences, networking and engineering (pp. 385-390). Springer.
Shoukry, L., Göbel, S., & Steinmetz, R. (2014, November). Learning analytics and serious games: Trends and considerations. In Proceedings of the 2014 ACM International Workshop on Serious Games (pp. 21-26).
Shoukry, L., Reuter, C., & Mehm, F. (2014, April). StoryTec and StoryPlay as tools for adaptive game-based learning research. In International Conference on Serious Games (pp. 195-198). Springer.
Shoukry, L., Göbel, S., & Steinmetz, R. (2014). Towards mobile multimodal learning analytics. Learning Analytics for and in Serious Games (pp.16).
Shoukry, L., Sturm, C., Galal-Edeen, G. H., & Göbel, S. (2014). Conducting Evaluation Studies of Mobile Games with Preschoolers. In DeLFI Workshops (pp. 262-269).
Shoukry, L., Sturm, C., & Galal-Edeen, G. H. (2012, September). Arab preschoolers, interactive media and early literacy development. In 2012 International Conference on eLearning and e-Technologies in Education (ICEEE) (pp. 43-48). IEEE.
Shoukry, L., Klenk, S., & Heidemann, G. (2010). MPEG-7 Feature Visualization for CBIR Systems. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Computer Theory and Applications (ICCTA 2010) (pp.86-90).
- Assisted in EU-funded Project ALFRED – Interactive Assistant for Independent Living and Active Aging https://alfred.eu/
- Assisted in inDago project funded by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research ( BMBF ) – A mobility support system for the elderly http://www.indago-projekt.de/
- Coordinated as internal project manager an industrial project with Space Agency ESA/ESOC at the Technical University of Darmstadt, Germany https://esamultimedia.esa.int/docs/ESOC/ESA_Spiel/