Department of Microbiology and Immunology
Dr. Abouelfetouh graduated as a pharmacist from the Faculty of Pharmacy, Alexandria University in 2003. She obtained her Master’s and PhD degrees in pharmaceutical microbiology from Alexandria University in 2007 and 2010, respectively. She was a bioVision.Nxt fellow in Lyon, 2011. She conducted two post-doctoral fellowships at Loyola University Chicago 2012-2013 and Medical College of Wisconsin 2013-2014, and was a visiting researcher at the Helmholtz Institute for Pharmaceutical Research Saarland (2018), as part of a collaboration project funded by Alexander Von Humboldt Foundation.
She was the beneficiary of a Fulbright scholarship in 2012, a Newton-Mosharafa fellowship in 2017 and a USAID Graduate Scholarship for Professionals Activity in 2019. She is also a fellow in Responsible Conduct of Research from the Fogarty International Center JORDAN Program (cohort 2018).
Dr. Abouelfetouh is a Professor of Microbiology and Immunology at the Faculty of Pharmacy, Alexandria University and Alamein International University where she also serves as PharmD Program coordinator. Dr. Abouelfetouh and her research team are studying genomic analysis of resistant clinical pathogens to understand the mechanisms driving antimicrobial resistance and the best control measures. She is the principal investigator of a number of projects studying antimicrobial resistance and genotyping of clinical isolates and has over 25 publications and conference presentations in the field. Dr. Abouelfetouh is also a member of many national and international societies such as the International Society for infectious diseases (2014- to date), the American Society of Microbiology (ASM) (2013- 2016) and the society for applied microbiology (SFAM) (2012- to date).
- Academic Positions
- Administrative Positions
- Teaching Summary
- Talks & Posters
- Funded Research Grants
- Professor of Microbiology and Immunology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Alamein International University (December 2021 to date)
- Professor of Microbiology and Immunology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Alexandria University (December 2021 to December 2021)
- Associate Professor of Microbiology and Immunology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Alamein International University (October 2020 to December 2021)
- Member of the Research Ethics Committee, Faculté Polydisciplinaire de Taroudant, Morocco (2020 to date)
- Member of the “Top Listed Interviews’ Experts Committee” to evaluate project proposals in Medical Sciences for the Joint ASRT/BA Research Grants Program (2018-2019)
- Member of the Editorial Board of “Venoms and Toxins” (October 2019 to date)
- Associate editor of “Antimicrobial resistance and infection control” (March 2019 to date)
- Reviewer of proposals for the Joint ASRT/BA Research Grants Program (2018-2019)
- Department of Microbiology and Immunology academic advisor (2018- 2020)
- Reviewer in a number of reputable journals, including Journal of Medical Microbiology, Frontiers in Microbiology, Journal of Infection in Developing countries, Infectious disorders-Drus targets, Microbial Drug Resistance, Current Microbiology, etc.
- Visiting researcher at the Helmoltz-Institute for Pharmaceutical Research Saarland (September – October 2018)
- Visiting academic at the University of East Anglia (August 2017 to February 2018)
- Head of student report preparation committee for the clinical pharmacy programme at the Faculty of Pharmacy, Alexandria University (academic years: 2016-2017, 2018-2019, 2019-2020)
- Associate Professor of Microbiology, faculty of pharmacy, Alexandria University (July 2016 to December 2021)
- Member of the Editorial Board of “Infectious disorders-Drus targets” (November 2014 to date)
- Lecturer in pharmaceutical microbiology, faculty of pharmacy, Alexandria University (July 2014 – July 2016)
- Postdoctoral fellow, Medical College of Wisconsin (July 2013 – June 2014)
- Reviewer of applications for the Egyptian Fulbright Student (AY 2013- 2014 and 2014-2015) and Egyptian Fulbright Missions Programs (AY 2013-2014)
- Postdoctoral fellow, Loyola University Chicago (September 2012 – June 2013)
- Postdoctoral fellow, faculty of pharmacy, Alexandria University, Alexandria, Egypt (September 2010 to August 2012)
- Lecturer in pharmaceutical microbiology, faculty of pharmacy, Alexandria University (September 2010 to August 2012)
- Assistant lecturer in pharmaceutical microbiology, faculty of pharmacy, Alexandria University (February 2007 – August 2010 )
- Demonstrator in microbiology, faculty of pharmacy, Alexandria University (December 2003 – January 2007)
- Director, Technology Innovation Commercialization Office (TICO), Alamein International University (March 2022 to date)
- Faculty of Pharmacy IT Unit manager (December 2015 to August 2017)
- Pharmaceutical Microbiology
- Antimicrobial chemotherapeutic agents
- Medical bacteriology
- Scientific writing and communication skills
- Research and analysis skills
- Antimicrobial chemotherapeutic agents
- Basics of research and ethics
- Advanced general microbiology
1. Adebayo Osagie Shittu, Opeyemi Uwangbaoje Lawal, Olaniyi Ayobami, Alaa Abouelfetouh, Nadira Mourabit, Mamadou Kaba, Beverly Egyir and Shima Mohammed Ahmed Abdulgader: A six-year update on the diversity of Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus clones in Africa: a systematic review. Front. Microbiol. 03 May 2022 | https://doi.org/10.3389/fmicb.2022.860436.
2. Alaa Abouelfetouh, Jennifer Mattock, Dann Turner, Erica LI and Benjamin Evans: Diversity of carbapenem-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii and bacteriophage-mediated spread of the Oxa23 carbapenemase. Microbial genomics. 2022 Feb;8(2). doi: 10.1099/mgen.0.000752. PMID: 35104206.
3. Gabriella Marincola, Olivia Liong, Christoph Schoen, Alaa Abouelfetouh, Aisha Hamdy, Freya D. R. Wencker, Tessa Marciniak, Karsten Becker, Robin Koeck and Wilma Ziebuhr (2021): Antimicrobial Resistance Profiles of Coagulase-negative Staphylococci in Community-based Healthy Individuals in Germany. Frontiers in Public Health. 17 June 2021. doi.org/10.3389/fpubh.2021.684456.
4. Carine R. Mores, Cesar Montelongo, Catherine Putonti, Alan J. Wolfe and Alaa Abouelfetouh (2021): Investigation of plasmids among clinical Staphylococcus aureus and Staphylococcus haemolyticus isolates from Egypt. Frontiers in Microbiology. 4 June 2021. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2021.659116
5. A Ene, T Miller-Ensminger, CR Mores, S Giannattasio-Ferraz, AJ Wolfe, A Abouelfetouh, C Putonti (2021): Examination of Staphylococcus aureus Prophages Circulating in Egypt. Viruses; 13(2):337. https://doi.org/10.3390/v13020337
6. Mustafa Alseqely, Mae Newton-Foot, Amal Khalil, Mostafa El-Nakeeb, Andrew Whitelaw and Alaa Abouelfetouh (2021): Association between fluoroquinolone resistance and MRSA genotype in Alexandria, Egypt. Scientific Reports. 11, 4253. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-83578-2.
7. Elsayed Aboulmagd, Mervat A. Kassem and Alaa Abouelfetouh (2020): ‘Global Landscape in Microbial Resistance’ in Ghazi and Cawley (Eds.) Frontiers in Anti-Infective Agents (Vol. 3)- 21st Century Challenges in Antimicrobial Therapy and Stewardship. Bentham Science Publishers Pte. Ltd. Singapore, pp 1-21.
8. Alaa Abouelfetouh, Jennifer Mattock, Dann Turner, Erica LI and Benjamin Evans: Diversity of carbapenem-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii and bacteriophage-mediated spread of the Oxa23 carbapenemase. bioRxiv 2020.09.08.287599; doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.09.08.287599
9. Lina M. Maarouf, Hoda M. Omar, Mostafa A. El-Nakeeb and Alaa A. Abouelfetouh: Prevalence and mechanisms of linezolid resistance among staphylococcal clinical isolates from Egypt. European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases. 2021 Apr;40(4):815-823. doi: 10.1007/s10096-020-04045-w. Epub 2020 Oct 26. PMID: 33104900.
10. Alaa Abouelfetouh, Aisha Torky and Elsayed Aboulmagd (2020): Role of plasmid carrying bla NDM in mediating antibiotic resistance among Acinetobacter baumannii clinical isolates from Egypt. 3 Biotech. 2020 Apr;10(4):170. doi: 10.1007/s13205-020-2157-y. Epub 2020 Mar 16.
11. Alaa Abouelfetouh, Aisha Torky and Elsayed Aboulmagd (2019): Phenotypic and genotypic characterization of carbapenem resistant Acinetobacter baumannii isolates from Egypt. Antimicrobial resistance and infection control 8, 185 doi:10.1186/s13756-019-0611-6.
12. Nada Ahmed, Mohamed Nounou, Alaa Abouelfetouh, Amal El-Kamel (2018): Over-the-Counter Herbal Weight Loss Supplements in Egypt: Label Claim, Microbiological and Pharmaceutical Quality, and Safety Assessments. Med Princ Pract. doi: 10.1159/000495986. [Epub ahead of print]
13. Sarah K Amer, Ramez N Bedwani, Gihan M Shehata and Alaa Abouelfetouh (2018): Improving Physicians’ Adherence to Guidelines Regarding Antibiotics Use in Acute Upper Respiratory Tract Infections in Adult Patients Attending Ministry of Health Hospitals in Alexandria, Egypt: An Interventional Study. Journal of Microbial & Biochemical Technology. 10: 16-19, DOI: 10.4172/1948-5948.1000389.
14. Alaa Abouelfetouh (2017): The status of methicillin resistance among Egyptian Staphylococcus aureus isolates, an overview. Infect Disord Drug Targets. 17(1):67-69.
15. Alaa Abouelfetouh, Mervat Kassem, Marwa Naguib, and Moustafa El-Nakeeb (2017): Investigation and treatment of fusidic acid resistance among methicillin resistant staphylococcal isolates from Egypt. Microbial Drug Resistance. 23(1): 8-17.
16. Alaa Y. Abouelfetouh, Noha Nafee, Nihal K. Moussa (2016): The degree of virulence does not necessarily affect MRSA biofilm strength and response to photodynamic therapy. Microbiol Pathogenesis. 91:54-60.
17. Alaa Abouelfetouh, Misty L. Kuhn, Linda I. Hu, Michael Scholle, Dylan J. Sorensen, Alexandria K. Sahu, Milan Mrksich, Wayne F. Anderson, Bradford W. Gibson, Birgit Schilling, and Alan J. Wolfe (2015): The E. coli sirtuin CobB shows no preference for enzymatic and non-enzymatic lysine acetylation substrate sites. MicrobiologyOpen 4(1):66-83.
18. Noha Nafee, Alaa Youssef, Hanan El-Gowelli, Heba Asem, Ahmed Abd El-Fattah, Sherif Kandil (2013): Antibiotic-free nanotherapeutics: Hypericin nanoparticles thereof for improved in vitro and in vivo antimicrobial photodynamic therapy and wound healing. International Journal of Pharmaceutics 454: 249– 258.
19. A. Y. Abouelfetouh and N. K. Moussa (2012): Enhancement of Antimicrobial Activity of Antibiotics Belonging to Different Classes after Combination with Garlic. Asian Journal of Plant Sciences. 11(3): 148-152.
20. Nelly M. Mohamed and Alaa A. Youssef (2011). In vitro activity of tigecycline and comparators against Gram negative bacteria isolated from a tertiary hospital in Alexandria, Egypt. Microbial Drug Resistance. 17(4): 489-495.
21. Mohammed A. Fawzi, Hamida M. Abou-Shleib, Elsayed Aboulmagd and Alaa A. Y. Aboul-Fetouh. (2007). In vitro study on some factors influencing the antimicrobial activity of Pemulen®. Alex. J. Pharm. Sci. 21(2): 117-123.
1. Aisha Hamdy, Mustafa Alseqely, Elsayed Aboulmagd, Alaa Abouelfetouh: Biofilm formation among nasal carriage isolates from healthy pharmacy students. Friendly fire? Poster presentation at the 32nd European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (ECCMID), 23-26 April 2022, Lisbon, Portugal (virtual).
2. Alaa Abouelfetouh (2021): Team Science: the power of us. Oral presentation at the IBRO-ARC Neuroscience and Research Ethics Policy Workshop, 12-14 November 2021, Taroudant, Morocco.
3. Alaa Abouelfetouh (2021): Research and Development and Grant Proposal Preparation. Oral presentation at the Joint ASRT-BA Research Grants Hybrid Workshop “Applied Research: From Theory to Market”, Bibliotheca Alexandrina, 8-9 November 2021, Alexandria, Egypt.
4. Alaa Abouelfetouh (2021): Antimicrobial resistance among nasal carriage isolates form healthy pharmacy students, is it a Pandora’s box? Oral presentation at the 29th Annual Conference of the Egyptian Society for Infection Control (ESIC) (APIC/Egypt Chapter), 4-6 November 2021, North Coast, Egypt.
5. Alaa Abouelfetouh (2021): Team Science; when one plus one equals three. A webinar organized by The Research Ethics Education Program in Jordan and the MENA. 15 June 2021, virtual.
6. Alaa Abouelfetouh (2020): What do we know about
“being a good researcher”? Oral presentation at the 5th International Conference on Ethics in Jordan and the MENA, 6-7 November 2020, virtual.
7. Alaa Abouelfetouh (2020): Linezolid resistance among staphylococcal clinical isolates from Alexandria hospitals. Oral presentation at the 28th Annual Conference of the Egyptian Society for Infection Control (ESIC) (APIC/Egypt Chapter), 5-7 November 2020, North Coast, Egypt.
8. Lina Maarouf, Benjamin Evans and Alaa Abouelfetouh (2020): Antibiotic use made unethical? Results of an antibiotic use survey from Alexandria, Egypt. Poster presentation at the 15th World Congress of Bioethics (WCB), 19-21 June 2020, virtual and oral presentation at Jordan RCR webinar series, 7 July 2020.
9. Mustafa A. Alseqely, Alaa A. Abouelfetouh, Amal M. Khalil and Moustafa A. El-Nakeeb: Do we need to raise the bar to properly identify methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus? Poster presentation at the International Conference on Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Sciences, 6-7 November 2019, Alexandria, Egypt, 2019.
10. Lina M. Maarouf, Alaa A. Abouelfetouh, Hoda M. Omar, Mostafa A. El-Nakeeb: Prevalence and Mechanisms of Linezolid resistance among Egyptian Staphylococcal clinical isolates. Poster presentation at the International Conference on Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Sciences, 6-7 November 2019, Alexandria, Egypt, 2019.
11. Aya M. Elmorsy, Lina M. Maarouf, Fatema Elzahraa A. Hamido, Yasmin O. Mahmoud, Hany I. Kenawy and Alaa A. Abouelfetouh: Yes, we can. A local antibiotic policy changing prescription pattern in outpatient clinics. Poster presentation at the International Conference on Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Sciences, 6-7 November 2019, Alexandria, Egypt, 2019.
12. Abdelrahman S. Mohamed1, Katrin S. Girgis, Hussien F. Ibrahim, Ahmed A. Sobhy, Marian G. Nabil, Fatma S. SaadAllah, Rana Y. Ali, Ahmed S. Abdelaal, Malak S. Moussa, Mahmoud A. Hamdy, Mariam O. Elsayed, Nada Y. Abdel-Ghany, Salma M. Mokhtar, Nadine A. Elsayed, Mahinour W. Shawqy, Shaza M. Abdelrahman and Alaa A. Abouelfetouh: Assessment of microbiological quality of household drinking water in Alexandria, Egypt. Student poster presentation at the International Conference on Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Sciences, 6-7 November 2019, Alexandria, Egypt, 2019.
13. Lina M. Maarouf, Abdelrahamn Y. Shaban, Abdullah A. Mohammed, Adham A. Elshimi, Ahmed T. Elnaggar, Areeg A. Khalifa, Aya H. Mohamed, Dina M. Raafat, Eman A, Taylon, Esraa R. ElSayed, Fatima A. Fadl, Ghaydaa H. Hamed, Hend A. Ibrahim, Khulood H. Tarabay, Maiar T. Nomeir, Marize H. Magdy, Mohamed A. Abdelaziz, Mohand A. Hassan, Nada H. Hamed, Nour G. Elgebeily, Nouran N. Mawad, Reem R. Mahmoud, Waad H. Abohashima, Yehia A. Fadel, Youssef A. Elnahas, Zeina S. El Sayed, Benjamin A. Evans, Alaa A. Abouelfetouh: Knowledge is power! Raising public awareness to fight antimicrobial resistance. Student poster presentation at the International Conference on Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Sciences, 6-7 November 2019, Alexandria, Egypt, 2019.
14. Aisha H. Elsawy, Moustafa A. Elseqely, Merna M. aboKhatwa, Shady A. Elkorany, Omar A. Elkhatib, Alaa A. Saied, Hend H. Asar, Philopater V. Kamel,Salma M. Zaghloul, Youssef A. Abdelghaffar, Yasmine M. Hassan, Ola T. Mahmoud, Mohammed H. Mohammed, Rowan W. Ahmed,Yasmine M. Abdelraouf, Nourhan A. Khamis, Moemen M. Abdelfattah, Emada G. Kotp, Alaa A. Abouelfetouh: Staphylococcal nasal carriage among pharmacy students in Alexandria. Student poster presentation at the International Conference on Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Sciences, 6-7 November 2019, Alexandria, Egypt, 2019.
15. Aisha H. Elsawy, Fayrouz A. Mahmoud, Amira E. Elsayed, Rawan G. Kassem, Mary V. Boghdady, Nada Y. Salem, Nayera A. Elsenoussy, Sarah A. Mohammed, Amr B. Abdelatif, Nayera H. Aboelmaged, Hania M. Alazouny, Ereny T. Thabet, Salma K. Elmasry, Nadeen H. Hussein, Fatma H. Ezzat, Alaa R. Abdelaziz and Alaa A. Abouelfetouh: Antibiotic consumption in the community: is it veering from the straight and narrow? Student poster presentation at the International Conference on Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Sciences, 6-7 November 2019, Alexandria, Egypt, 2019.
16. Hadeer H. Bassiouny, Asmaa Salah Khalifa, Marwa Ahmad Mahmoud, Mennat-Allah T. Labib, Nada M. Kamel, Youssef A. Abdelsamad, Nouran M. Abomadawy, Ehdaa A. Hussien, Nouran A. ELkordy, Marwa M. Dief, Mariam M. Labib, Mennat-Allah A. Hegazy, Lara M. Bashir, Shery M. Agaiby, Yasmine Y. Mohamed, Menna-Allah E. Zayed, Mariam A. Mahfouz, Madonna N. samir and Alaa Abouelfetouh: Adherence to and effectiveness of local antimicrobial treatment guidelines in pneumonia patients. Student poster presentation at the International Conference on Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Sciences, 6-7 November 2019, Alexandria, Egypt, 2019.
17. Hadeer Hamdy, Asmaa Salah Khalifa, Marwa Ahmad Mahmoud, Alzahraa Hosam, Amira Saleh, Dalia Gaber, Esra’a Metwally, Hend Saady, Maria Amgad, Nada Moustafa, Rania Reda, Ranim Hassan, Rowan Emad, Sara Khairy, Sara Nabil, Youssif El Shalawy, Ziad Dowedar and Alaa Abouelfetouh: Intra-Abdominal Sepsis Management: Are We Doing It Right? Student poster presentation at the International Conference on Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Sciences, 6-7 November 2019, Alexandria, Egypt, 2019.
18. Alaa Abouelfetouh: Ethics education improves understanding of conflict of interest among Egyptian researchers. Oral presentation at the 4th International Conference on Ethics, Jordan University of Science and Technology, 5 November 2019, Irbid, Jordan.
19. Alaa Abouelfetouh: Some Dos and Don’ts in conflicts of interest and commitment. Oral presentation at the “Research Ethics Essentials” Workshop, Bibliotheca Alexandrina, 18-20 December 2018, Alexandria, Egypt.
20. Mustafa Alseqely, Mae Newton-Foot, Alaa Abouelfetouh, Amal Khalil, Moustafa El-Nakeeb and Andrew Whitelaw: Know your enemy! Fluoroquinolone resistance in methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus isolates from Alexandria, Egypt. Poster presentation at the 18th International Symposium on Staphylococci and Staphylococcal Infections, 23-26 August 2018, Copenhagen, Denmark.
21. Alaa Abouelfetouh and Benjamin Evans: Genetic diversity and antibiotic resistance among Acinetobacter baumannii isolates from Egypt. Oral presentation at Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge University, 1 February 2018 and Sanger Institute, 2 February 2018, Cambridge, UK.
22. Noura Khamis and Alaa Abouelfetouh. Power of the public: changing common conceptions about antibiotic use in Alexandria, Egypt. Poster presentation at the sfam 3rd Antimicrobial Resistance Conference, Antimicrobial Resistance: Meeting the Challenge, 23-24 November 2017, London, UK.
23. Alaa Abouelfetouh, Mustafa Alseqely, Amal Khalil, Moustafa El-Nakeeb and Andrew Whitelaw: Genotyping of methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus isolates from Alexandria, Egypt. Oral presentation at the Staphrica/StaphNetAfrica kick-off meeting, 15-16 August 2017, Legon, Accra, Ghana.
24. Alaa Abouelfetouh, Marwa Naguib, Mustafa Alseqely, Mervat Kassem, Amal Khalil and Moustafa El-Nakeeb: Tales of antibiotic resistance from Alexandria, Egypt. Oral presentation at the JUST International Pharmacy Conference: The 4th Conference of the Association of Faculties of Pharmacy at Jordanian Universities 2-4 August 2017, Irbid, Jordan.
25. Alaa Abouelfetouh, Marwa Naguib, Mervat Kassem and Moustafa El-Nakeb: Treating methicillin resistant staphylococcal infections in Alexandria, Egypt with Fusidic Acid: Where we Stand and How to Go Far. Oral presentation at the Women in Science Without Borders, 21-23 March 2017, Cairo, Egypt.
26. Alaa Abouelfetouh, Marwa Naguib, Mustafa Al-seqely, Mervat Kassem, Sarah Magdy, Amal Khalil and Moustafa El-Nakeeb: Are coagualse negative staphylococci “sleeper cells” for antibiotic resistance? Results from a five year study on Egyptian isolates. Poster presentation at the 17th International Symposium on Staphylococci and Staphylococcal Infections, 30 August – 2 September 2016, Seoul, Korea.
27. M. Naguib, A. Abouelfetouh, M. Kassem, S. Magdy and M. El-Nakeeb: Is Moxifloxacin a Secret Weapon or Simply a Trump Card to Treat Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcal Infections? A Study from Egypt. Poster presentation at the 17th International Congress on Infectious Diseases, 2-5 March 2016, Hyderabad, India.
28. Alaa Abouelfetouh: Antimicrobial resistance: have we reached a post-antibiotic era? Oral presentation at the Pharmaceutical Biotechnology Conference “The Revolution of Sciences”, 24-25 December 2014, Alexandria, Egypt.
29. Marwa Naguib, Alaa Abouelfetouh, Mervat Kassem and Moustafa El-Nakeeb. Fusidic Acid Resistance in Clinical Isolates: What Is Next? Oral presentation at the 5th Conference of the Eastern Mediterranean Regional Network for Infection Control, 25 – 28 October 2014, North coast, Egypt.
30. Marwa Naguib, Alaa Abouelfetouh, Mervat Kassem and Moustafa El-Nakeeb. It is a no-brainer: never use fusidic acid alone! A study from Alexandria, Egypt. Poster presentation at the International Meeting on Emerging Diseases and Surveillance (IMED), 31 October – 3 November 2014, Vienna, Austria.
31. Alaa A. Y. Abouelfetouh and Christopher J. Kristich: Identifying “Trojan horse” positions within tetM to neutralize tetracycline resistance. Oral presentation at the 16th International Congress on Infectious Diseases, 2-5 April 2014, Cape Town, South Africa.
32. David Christensen, Alaa Abouelfetouh and Alan J. Wolfe: Acetyl Phosphate Regulates Bacterial Migration Independent of and in Addition to the Rcs Phosphorelay. Molecular Genetics of Bacteria and Phages Meeting, 6 – 10 August 2013, Madison, WI, USA.
33. Noha Nafee, Alaa Youssef, Heba Asem, Ahmed Abd El-Fattah, Labiba El-Khordagui and Sherif Kandil: Light-activated Antibacterial Activity of Nanoencapsulated Hypericin Against Biofilm and Planktonic Cells of Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) Clinical Isolates. Poster N°904, Session 2, 40th Annual Meeting & Expostion of the Controlled Release Society, 21-24 July 2013, Hawaii, USA.
34. Noha Nafee, Hanan Gowelli, Alaa Youssef, Heba Asem, Labiba El-Khordagui: Nanoparticle-mediated delivery of hypericin to infected wounds in rats: impact on photodynamic antimicrobial activity and wound healing. Oral presentation in the NanoPDT Conference: Applications of Nanodrugs in Photodynamic Therapy, 11-12 April 2013, Gothenburg, Sweden.
35. A. A. Y. Abouelfetouh, N. K. Moussa (2013): Prevalence of Some Virulence Genes among Biofilm Forming Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus Isolates Obtained from Patients in Egyptian Hospitals. ASM general meeting, Denver, Colorado, USA, 18-21 May 2013.
36. Abouelfetouh Alaa A. Y., Zemaitaitis Bozena and Wolfe Alan J. (2013): The flip of a coin: acetylation or phosphorylation by acetyl phosphate in biofilms. BLAST XII meeting, Tucson, Arizona, USA, 20-25 January 2013.
37. Marwa Naguib, Alaa Abouelfetouh, Mervat Kassem and Moustafa El-Nakeeb (2012): Is fusidic acid a valid alternative for topical treatment of multi-drug resistant Staphylococcal infections? Results from major hospitals in Alexandria, Egypt. The Sfam summer meeting: resistance, adaptation and bioremediation, Edinburgh, United Kingdom, 2-5 July 2012.
38. Nihal K. Moussa and Alaa A. Y. Abouelfetouh (2011): Will Garlic Improve Antibiotic Effectiveness In Biofilm Treatment? Federation of infection society conference, Manchester, United Kingdom, 16-18 November 2011.
39. Abouelfetouh A. Y., El-Nakeeb M., Abou-Shleib H., El-Guink N. and Khalil A. (2011): Comparative study of doxycycline and azithromycin influence on biofilm cells of different microorganisms. The 4th Conference of the Eastern Mediterranen regional network for infection control: Infection preventionists: marathoning towards zero, Alexandria, Egypt, 17-20 October 2011.
40. Alaa A. Youssef, Mostafa El-Nakeeb, Hamida Abou-Shleib, Nadia El-Guink and Amal Khalil (2010). Response of some Gram-negative and Gram-positive biofilm cells to fluoroquinolone challenges. Bacterial cell biology conference, Puerto Morelos, Mexico, 16-19 November 2010.
– Monitoring the influence of protein acetylation on biofilm formation in E. coli (The Binational Fulbright Commission, 2012-2013).
– Studies on Moxifloxacin Resistance Profiles of Staphylococcus aureus in Alexandria Hospitals (STDF 15135, 2015 – 2016).
– Molecular epidemiology of S. aureus in Northern, central and southern Africa (Egyptian Ministry of Scientific Research 26-3-14, 2015 – 2017).
– Inhalable nano-embedded microparticles for the pulmonary delivery of novel anti-infectives (ALEXANDER von HUMBOLDT FOUNDATION Research Group Linkage Programm, 2017-2019). – Microbiological study of Linezolid activity against Gram Positive Cocci (Academic Thesis Research Fund at the Faculty of Pharmacy, Alexandria University, 2017-2019).
– Molecular epidemiology of carbapenem resistant Acinetobacter baumannnii isolates from Alexandria, Egypt (Newton-Mosharafa Researcher links Travel Grant, 2017-2018).
– Reversing the tide on antimicrobial resistance: a German-Egyptian approach. (Study visit to 3 Greman universities for a group of Alexandria University students sponsored by DAAD, 2/2018).
– Molecular characterization and clonal relatedness of carbapenem resistant Acinetobacter baumannii isolated from University hospitals in Alexandria (STDF, 2018-2019).
– Molecular epidemiology and antimicrobial resistance mechanisms in staphylococci from various geographic regions in Africa (DFG Grant ZI 665/3-1, 2018-2021).