Department of Microbiology and Immunology
Dr. Abouelfetouh graduated as a pharmacist from the Faculty of Pharmacy, Alexandria University in 2003. She obtained her Master’s and PhD degrees in pharmaceutical microbiology from Alexandria University in 2007 and 2010, respectively. She was a bioVision.Nxt fellow in Lyon, 2011. She conducted two post-doctoral fellowships at Loyola University Chicago 2012-2013 and Medical College of Wisconsin 2013-2014, and was a visiting researcher at the Helmholtz Institute for Pharmaceutical Research Saarland (2018), as part of a collaboration project funded by Alexander Von Humboldt Foundation.
She was the beneficiary of a Fulbright scholarship in 2012, a Newton-Mosharafa fellowship in 2017 and a USAID Graduate Scholarship for Professionals Activity in 2019. She is also a fellow in Responsible Conduct of Research from the Fogarty International Center JORDAN Program (cohort 2018).
Dr. Abouelfetouh is an Associate Professor of Microbiology and Immunology at the Faculty of Pharmacy, Alexandria University and AlAlamein International University where she also serves as PharmD Program coordinator. Dr. Abouelfetouh and her research team are studying genomic analysis of resistant clinical pathogens to understand the mechanisms driving antimicrobial resistance and the best control measures. She is the principal investigator of a number of projects studying antimicrobial resistance and genotyping of clinical isolates and has over 25 publications and conference presentations in the field. Dr. Abouelfetouh is also a member of many national and international societies such as the International Society for infectious diseases (2014- to date), the American Society of Microbiology (ASM) (2013- 2016) and the society for applied microbiology (SFAM) (2012- to date).
- Academic Positions
- Administrative Positions
- Teaching Summary
- Journal Publications
- Conference Publications
- Funded Research Grants
Associate Professor of Microbiology and Immunology
PharmD Program coordinator at AIU
- Pharmaceutical Microbiology
- Antimicrobial chemotherapeutic agents
- Medical bacteriology
- Scientific writing and communication skills
- Research and analysis skills
- Antimicrobial chemotherapeutic agents
- Basics of research and ethics
- Advanced general microbiology
1. Elsayed Aboulmagd, Mervat A. Kassem and Alaa Abouelfetouh (2020): ‘Global Landscape in Microbial Resistance’ in Ghazi and Cawley (Eds.) Frontiers in Anti-Infective Agents (Vol. 3)- 21st Century Challenges in Antimicrobial Therapy and Stewardship. Bentham Science Publishers Pte. Ltd. Singapore, pp 1-21.
2. Alaa Abouelfetouh, Jennifer Mattock, Dann Turner, Erica LI and Benjamin Evans: Diversity of carbapenem-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii and bacteriophage-mediated spread of the Oxa23 carbapenemase. bioRxiv 2020.09.08.287599; doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.09.08.287599
3. Lina M. Maarouf, Hoda M. Omar, Mostafa A. El-Nakeeb and Alaa A. Abouelfetouh: Prevalence and mechanisms of linezolid resistance among staphylococcal clinical isolates from Egypt. European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseass. 2020 Oct 26. doi: 10.1007/s10096-020-04045-w. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33104900.
4. Alaa Abouelfetouh, Aisha Torky and Elsayed Aboulmagd (2020): Role of plasmid carrying bla NDM in mediating antibiotic resistance among Acinetobacter baumannii clinical isolates from Egypt. 3 Biotech. 2020 Apr;10(4):170. doi: 10.1007/s13205-020-2157-y. Epub 2020 Mar 16.
5. Alaa Abouelfetouh, Aisha Torky and Elsayed Aboulmagd (2019): Phenotypic and genotypic characterization of carbapenem resistant Acinetobacter baumannii isolates from Egypt. Antimicrobial resistance and infection control 8, 185 doi:10.1186/s13756-019-0611-6.
6. Nada Ahmed, Mohamed Nounou, Alaa Abouelfeouh, Amal El-Kamel (2018): Over-the-Counter Herbal Weight Loss Supplements in Egypt: Label Claim, Microbiological and Pharmaceutical Quality, and Safety Assessments. Med Princ Pract. doi: 10.1159/000495986. [Epub ahead of print]
7. Sarah K Amer, Ramez N Bedwani, Gihan M Shehata and Alaa Abouelfetouh (2018): Improving Physicians’ Adherence to Guidelines Regarding Antibiotics Use in Acute Upper Respiratory Tract Infections in Adult Patients Attending Ministry of Health Hospitals in Alexandria, Egypt: An Interventional Study. Journal of Microbial & Biochemical Technology. 10: 16-19, DOI: 10.4172/1948-5948.1000389.
8. Alaa Abouelfetouh (2017): The status of methicillin resistance among Egyptian Staphylococcus aureus isolates, an overview. Infect Disord Drug Targets. 17(1):67-69.
9. Alaa Abouelfetouh, Mervat Kassem, Marwa Naguib, and Moustafa El-Nakeeb (2017): Investigation and treatment of fusidic acid resistance among methicillin resistant staphylococcal isolates from Egypt. Microbial Drug Resistance. 23(1): 8-17.
10. Alaa Y. Abouelfetouh, Noha Nafee, Nihal K. Moussa (2016): The degree of virulence does not necessarily affect MRSA biofilm strength and response to photodynamic therapy. Microbiol Pathogenesis. 91:54-60.
11. Alaa Abouelfetouh, Misty L. Kuhn, Linda I. Hu, Michael Scholle, Dylan J. Sorensen, Alexandria K. Sahu, Milan Mrksich, Wayne F. Anderson, Bradford W. Gibson, Birgit Schilling, and Alan J. Wolfe (2015): The E. coli sirtuin CobB shows no preference for enzymatic and non-enzymatic lysine acetylation substrate sites. MicrobiologyOpen 4(1):66-83.
-Alaa Abouelfetouh (2020): What do we know about “being a good researcher”? Oral presentation at the 5th International Conference on Ethics in Jordan and the MENA, 6-7/11/20, virtual.
-Alaa Abouelfetouh (2020): Linezolid resistance among staphylococcal clinical isolates from Alexandria hospitals. Oral presentation at the 28th Annual Conference of the Egyptian Society for Infection Control , 5-7/11/20, North Coast, Egypt.
-Lina Maarouf, Benjamin Evans and Alaa Abouelfetouh (2020): Antibiotic use made unethical? Results of an antibiotic use survey from Alexandria, Egypt. Poster presentation at the 15th World Congress of Bioethics (WCB), 19-21/6/20, virtual and oral presentation at Jordan RCR webinar series, 7/7/20.
-Mustafa A. Alseqely, Alaa A. Abouelfetouh, Amal M. Khalil and Moustafa A. El-Nakeeb: Do we need to raise the bar to properly identify methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus? Poster presentation at the International Conference on Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Sciences, 6-7/11/19, Alexandria, Egypt.
-Lina M. Maarouf, Alaa A. Abouelfetouh, Hoda M. Omar, Mostafa A. El-Nakeeb: Prevalence and Mechanisms of Linezolid resistance among Egyptian Staphylococcal clinical isolates. Poster presentation at the International Conference on Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Sciences, 6-7/11/19, Alexandria, Egypt.
-Aya M. Elmorsy, Lina M. Maarouf, Fatema Elzahraa A. Hamido, Yasmin O. Mahmoud, Hany I. Kenawy and Alaa A. Abouelfetouh: Yes, we can. A local antibiotic policy changing prescription pattern in outpatient clinics. Poster presentation at the International Conference on Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Sciences (PHS), 6-7/11/19, Alexandria, Egypt.
-Aisha H. Elsawy, Moustafa A. Elseqely, Merna M. aboKhatwa, Shady A. Elkorany, Omar A. Elkhatib, Alaa A. Saied, Hend H. Asar, Philopater V. Kamel,Salma M. Zaghloul, Youssef A. Abdelghaffar, Yasmine M. Hassan, Ola T. Mahmoud, Mohammed H. Mohammed, Rowan W. Ahmed,Yasmine M. Abdelraouf, Nourhan A. Khamis, Moemen M. Abdelfattah, Emada G. Kotp, Alaa A. Abouelfetouh: Staphylococcal nasal carriage among pharmacy students in Alexandria. Student poster at PHS, 6-7/11/19, Alexandria, Egypt.
-Alaa Abouelfetouh: Ethics education improves understanding of conflict of interest among Egyptian researchers. Oral presentation at the 4th International Conference on Ethics, Jordan University of Science and Technology, 5/11/19, Irbid, Jordan.
-Mustafa Alseqely, Mae Newton-Foot, Alaa Abouelfetouh, Amal Khalil, Moustafa El-Nakeeb and Andrew Whitelaw: Know your enemy! Fluoroquinolone resistance in methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus isolates from Alexandria, Egypt. Poster presentation at the 18th International Symposium on Staphylococci and Staphylococcal Infections, 23-26/8/18, Copenhagen, Denmark.
-Alaa Abouelfeotuh and Benjamin Evans: Genetic diversity and antibiotic resistance among Acinetobacter baumannii isolates from Egypt. Oral presentation at Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge University, 1/2/18 and Sanger Institute, 2/2/18, Cambridge, UK.
-Noura Khamis and Alaa Abouelfetouh. Power of the public: changing common conceptions about antibiotic use in Alexandria, Egypt. Poster presentation at the sfam 3rd Antimicrobial Resistance Conference, Antimicrobial Resistance: Meeting the Challenge, 23-24/11/17, London, UK.
-Alaa Abouelfetouh, Marwa Naguib, Mustafa Al-seqely, Mervat Kassem, Sarah Magdy, Amal Khalil and Moustafa El-Nakeeb: Are coagualse negative staphylococci “sleeper cells” for antibiotic resistance? Results from a five year study on Egyptian isolates. Poster presentation at the 17th International Symposium on Staphylococci and Staphylococcal Infections, 30/8–2/9/16, Seoul, Korea
-M. Naguib, A. Abouelfetouh, M. Kassem, S. Magdy and M. El-Nakeeb: Is Moxifloxacin a Secret Weapon or Simply a Trump Card to Treat Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcal Infections? A Study from Egypt. Poster at the 17th International Congress on Infectious Diseases, 2-5/3/16, Hyderabad, India
– Monitoring the influence of protein acetylation on biofilm formation in E. coli (The Binational Fulbright Commission, 2012-2013).
– Studies on Moxifloxacin Resistance Profiles of Staphylococcus aureus in Alexandria Hospitals (STDF 15135, 2015 – 2016).
– Molecular epidemiology of S. aureus in Northern, central and southern Africa (Egyptian Ministry of Scientific Research 26-3-14, 2015 – 2017).
– Inhalable nano-embedded microparticles for the pulmonary delivery of novel anti-infectives (ALEXANDER von HUMBOLDT FOUNDATION Research Group Linkage Programm, 2017-2019).
– Microbiological study of Linezolid activity against Gram Positive Cocci (Academic Thesis Research Fund at the Faculty of Pharmacy, Alexandria University, 2017-2019).
– Molecular epidemiology of carbapenem resistant Acinetobacter baumannnii isolates from Alexandria, Egypt (Newton-Mosharafa Researcher links Travel Grant, 2017-2018).
– Reversing the tide on antimicrobial resistance: a German-Egyptian approach. (Study visit to 3 Greman universities for a group of Alexandria University students sponsored by DAAD, 2/2018).
– Molecular characterization and clonal relatedness of carbapenem resistant Acinetobacter baumannii isolated from University hospitals in Alexandria (STDF, 2018-2019).
– Molecular epidemiology and antimicrobial resistance mechanisms in staphylococci from various geographic regions in Africa (DFG Grant ZI 665/3-1, 2018-2021).